Don't Get High On Your Own Supply

Good morning and Happy Thursday. When I was in my early 20's I worked at a governement agency in the downtown Chicago area. My aunt was the one who helped me obtain this job. I was still in college and still lived at home with my parents. I had worked before but mainly as a janitor for the church. Now working in the downtown area was different because at the agency I worked at it was mostly women. with me being in my early 20's I had been around women my age or younger but never this many that were older than me other than when I was church. I was considered cool and someone people could talk to but I would never give advice or judge anyone. By me being a great listener I would hear stories about how the married women were in very unhappy marriages. Or rhe ones who had boyfriend who they could not stand. Or the single women who just wanted to be with some one or dreamed to get married. This agency had few men working there so I could either be true to myself and adhere to my Christian values or be with as many as I wanted. I chose the latter and at once my body smelled so much better to me. I started to view myself as a player. The saliva in my mouth tasted as if it were as sweet as sugar. No one or nobody could tell me NOTHING. I was getting high on my own supply.



  
My cousin John and I saw this movie when it premiered in 1983. I loved the part when Tony Montana (Al Pacino ) is being told by his boss about rule number 2 about never getting high on his own supply. This was a mantra repeated by many of the drug dealers growing up. In 1997 the Notorious BIG made a song about the Ten Crack Commandments. Eventually I moved on to a bigger and better job but that only meant I was just getting higher on myself. No matter how much weed/loud or alcohol/drink I had I was always high on myself. Better job meant more women. Better job meant more women to put in car. I had eventually gotten married but loved myself more than my wife, my children, my family, my close friends who I did everything with and even added snorting cocaine to the mix. I was getting high on my own supply as well as the enemy. I led this lifestyle while I was married and even after we divorced. God, you cannot tell me nothing. I have got my money right and no longer need you. No matter what job I am at there are more women to conquer. But then one day God humbled me and took not only the potency of the high that I placed in myself he brought me down so I had to look up to see him.

 In 1st Kings 9:1-9 God tells Solomon that if he turns his back on God that there will be somethings he will answer to. In 1st Kings 11:1-13 after Solomon continues to get high on his own supply God decides to not go back on his promise to David but to alter it so that all knew that he is almighty. I had to fall down to get back up. I had to humble myself and try to educate the youth on the dangers of getting high on your accomplishments without thanking God. I had to humble myself and be open to new ideas about religion. I had to humble myself and ask my family for forgiveness so I could come back in their lives. I had to make a difference in government by resuming my right to vote. I had to get involved in business as I have to start my own business soon. I had to humble myself and support programs that showcase the entertainment and arts of the Christian folk. I had to humble myself a become a person in the social media that tells you the good news of Christ. I was getting it and getting it on at one time. I know give God all the glory and the honor. Never get high on your own supply. Tune in Tuesday for another installment of Brand new week, brand new attitude. The topic will Mary, Mary, How does your Garden Grow. Enjoy the holiday.

Comments

  1. Hollywood Star :-)June 2, 2012 at 10:09 AM

    Thanks for sharing your testimony Fred. I've gone through some challenges lately, and I had to reflect on why things may have been happening in my life as they were. I know now that I needed to be humbled in order for me to hear God, and find out His purpose for my life. Sometimes it becomes more about us than Him, and He can't work in our lives when that is true. My supply has been diminished. My storage is empty. I say to my God, "I am available to YOU! Fill me up, and use me to fulfill YOUR plans." I want to get high on God's supply.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Repair Shop

Dark Room

Let The Rain Come Down