The Character of a Champion ( In Memory of Joseph Wesley

Good evening and Marvelous Monday. Brand new week, Brand new attitude. The past is the past. The future is unlimited. As I am writing this teaching my eyes are welling up with tears. One of the greatest men in my life has departed and we have, my family and I, have said our goodbyes to him. My Uncle Joseph Wesley left this earth on 10-11-16. The home going services were wonderful and everyone spoke well, sung well and afterwards even ate well. While I did not have a chance to speak, one of the things that I knew that I was going to do was to honor him with this memorial teaching which is going to be about him. It is aptly named for what he was about and who he embodied, The Character of a Champion.
As I come into this teaching I want to define the two key words in this teaching, character which means as follows, qualities of honesty, courage and integrity, and champion which means, a person
who has defeated all opponents. Joseph Wesley character was that of all of the words that I describe and each challenge before him was nothing and he overcome all and became the Champion we all knew and loved. The Character of a Champion.
As I come into the Word of God for this teaching of The Character of a Champion I begin in Genesis 37:9-11. In this passage Joseph told his entire family of a dream given to him by God. Everyone had
to think he was crazy, but his father, Israel took the matter to mind. My Uncle Joseph had to come from humble beginnings, the son of a share cropper with no running water to graduate from school in his early teens, no matter what others said.  The honesty that my Uncle Joseph exhibited that he was determined to defeat anything in his way. The Character of a Champion.
As we continue this teaching of The Character of a Champion we go to Exodus 39:21-23. In this passage Joseph has been put in prison because of some shady stuff. But he prospered and was put in
charge of the section that he was a part of. My Uncle Joseph was one of the first Black men who came off the assembly line and qualified for an apprenticeship to eventually become a journeyman which is a skilled tradesmen who earned a nice income. It took courage to to challenge the establishment, but he did and he prospered. The Character of a Champion,
As we come to the conclusion of the Biblical part of the teaching of The Character of a Champion I go to Exodus 45:6-8. In this passage of scriptures Joseph tells his brothers that what they did to him
was the purpose of God and now he is in a position to help them. My Uncle Joseph had such integrity that he helped Black congressmen such as Gus Savage and Harold Washington get elected as he was a winner in all aspects of his life. The Character of a Champion.
In closing I want to this teaching to not only celebrate the life of my Uncle Joseph Wesley to show you that we all can have and be The Character of a Champion. Like Joseph in the Bible and my Uncle Joseph you can show the others your honesty that there will be struggles as a person of faith but you can always come out ahead. You can show the world courage and minister or witness or pray in certain areas that no one would dare go, but that is what a winner does. And you can continue to show your integrity by letting others know that despite what seems like dire circumstances, God will pull you thru and give you the victory. This the epitome of The Character of a Champion. I finish with the words in the picture above that he used to always greet me when he saw me. What's Up Doc! I am going to miss him because he had The Character of a Champion. I love you Uncle Joseph Wesley. You helped me with my becoming a better person. I thank God you were my Uncle and the time we spent together. Keep my Aunt Luella and my cousins, Kimberly and Karen, Anthony, Brian and Keefe. I do not know when I am going to e writing again because I was not going to write this whole year but had to honor my uncle.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Repair Shop

Dark Room

Let The Rain Come Down